Monday, June 14, 2010

Reading Strategy

In the interests of developing some sort of reading strategy, I would like to note the following things:

1) I am not reading my texts in any particular order. I am reading the novels more-or-less chronologically, but not strictly so. I chose to do it this way to keep things fresh and exciting. Also, I do not always have all of my comps books on hand at any given time, so I tend to read what's handy.

2) I don't plan on going back to post entries on texts I read in the winter term or previous to that, as I feel it is better to keep moving forward through material. If I find I have the time, however, I will review them and post about them later. Many of the texts I have already read, I have written about previously as well, so I feel pretty comfortable with them already.

The texts I've read so far:
Kingsley Amis: Lucky Jim (1954)

Samuel Selvon: The Lonely Londoners (1956)
Jean Rhys: Wide Sargasso Sea (1967)
Jeanette Winterson: Written on the Body (1994)
Caryl Churchill: A Number (2002)
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960)
Victim (1961)
A Taste of Honey (1961)
Alan Sinfield: Literature, Politics and Culture in Postwar Britain (1997)
Ashley Dawson: Mongrel Nation (2007)
H.D. selections from Tribute to Freud

1 comment:

  1. Hi Phebe, Since I know you are interested in podcasts you might want to check out this Bloomsday broadcast re: James Joyce and the publication of Ulysses, in collaboration with Sylvia Beach: http://earideas.com/earideas/explore/show/92278/Writers+and+Co.+-+13%2006%202010+-+Keri+Walsh+on+Sylvia+Beach
    cheers! Sarah B

    ReplyDelete